Jun 19, 2013

Know your breasts, ladies!

I've always wanted to spend more time writing about where-i-have-beens and what-have-been-going-on in my life (or lack thereof), but i cannot seem to find the right time. Until i read Eleni's blogpost last night  about "That's enough", and I am even more determined to make a change. (Would totally link her post here, except that she's shutting down her blog! *cries*)

Before you think that i start to sound like a broken record, hear me out. Warning for men though, what i am about to tell you next may make you flinch a little in your seat. Nonetheless, I think regardless of gender, everyone should know this.

I had a health scare recently. I was lying on my bed, while my man drifted off to sleep beside me. I usually sleep in my purple Y! t-shirts, but that night I was wearing my oversized pyjama that was oh-so-comfy. Braless, of course! Most women sleep sans bra, so don't pretend to be surprised to hear this. I said most, as there's always exceptions out there, but I believe 90% of the female population feel more comfortable without the underwires poking into our flesh.

Anyhoo, my point is, I couldn't sleep and i thought about self breast examination, and with my brief lesson with the gynae i have met during my school years, I had a go at it and felt something on my left breast. Right under the nipple, a round shaped marble, about the size of a 1 cm in diameter and it doesn't feel like it belong there. Now most of the girls that i have spoken to responded pretty similarly. "How sure are you that what you've felt is a lump? My breast felt lumpy all the time!". And trust me, i totally understand where you come from, as i had the same experience before the discovery of the said marble-sized lump above.

Now a short disclaimer here, im no doctor or expert, so what im about to tell you may not be accurate. Rule of thumb is, if you are unsure, please visit a licensed doctor :) However a pointer from a woman to another, when you are doing self breast examination, lay down flat on your back so that your breast seems to descend. This position allows you to feel the lumps more clearly. Also, do the check about 10 days post menstrual period. Simple reason being, our body undergo many hormonal changes right before period (which explains PMS and the swelling of your boobs), and during menstrual as well. Give a 10 days grace period for your body/breast to return back to normal for more accurate result. Imagine your breast as an orange, and you are to divide the orange into 4 sections. Another important note is to use your left hand to check your right breast, and right hand to check on your left breast. Use three fingers to apply slight pressure on one of the section your breast. Avoid using the tip of your fingers, that would just poke into your breast (not very helpful). Use the mid section of your fingers instead. Press down slightly and move in circular motion and try to feel for irregularities. If you feel that you found some harden flesh, repeat the same steps on the other breast on the same area. If you found the same lump on the other breast as well, then that should be your breast tissue :) As to answer the mind boggling question of, "Is it really a breast lump, or am i feeling my own breast tissue?", i can definitely tell you that when i felt the marble in my chest, it felt foreign. Like literally a marble in my breast. although it's pretty small, but my hunch tells me that it doesn't belong there. Also if you do self breast examination from time to time, you should know your body pretty well. However, anytime you are unsure, check with a doctor. Look for a lady doctor if you are uncomfortable with a male doctor.

Wow i didnt expect to write such a long piece of advise. As for my progress, i have just underwent surgery to remove the lumps yesterday. Currently resting at home, doing absolutely nothing! I think the whole ordeal with surgery deserves its own post, on another day of course :)

Pray for my speedy recovery! xo



No comments: