Oct 1, 2013

Review: Rush

Recently i've set up a newsletter group in the office for all movie freaks alike. I call my group the Popcorn! Here's one of the few movie review that i have done:



Movie: Rush (2013)
Genre: Biography, Action, Drama

Review: I was a little hesitant to watch Rush at first, because I know it’s going to be about fast cars and racing. But thanks to my persistent boyfriend (who even assured me that this movie garnered rocket high ratings over on Rotten Tomatoes), I finally gave in and bought the tickets.

And boy, was I in for a ride. The movie started with a racing scene, eventually led to sex scenes, which to my advantage showed a quick peek of Chris Hemsworth’s muscular, cute little butt and to my disadvantage, a whole lot of boobies scenes. Very graphic indeed. No wonder the lady at the box office counter asked for my ID card as this movie is rated at M18 (hey, does that means I look younger than 18? :P)

Story sets in the 70s, about two person with very different character with the same passion for racing. Niki Lauda (Austrian) is a very smart man, but not well liked because he is very serious in what he does. On the other hand we have James Hunt (Great Britain), a charming, ladies’ man who is hot headed and aggressive. The movie talks about how both started from nothing to joining the Ferari and McLaren’s team and became rivals.

Cinematically, the movie is so beautiful. It is so realistic, as if I am sitting in that tiny F1 car, feeling the adrenaline “rush” as they race for the top spot. I really wonder how they fit a camera to capture all the scenes so perfectly. There is not a dull moment in the movie, not even when the movie revolves around relationships behind these two champions. And I think i have a new found respect for Formula 1 drivers, who risked their lives, driving at 300km/hour around the track, regardless of rain or shine.

I read on Yahoo OMG, that the real Niki Lauda (who is 64 years old now) attended the premier of Rush, and was amazed at how accurate and realistic the movie was, as he was shocked himself, to relive the scenes in the movie. So dare I say, this movie would thrill even for non-petrol heads and with that I’m going to award my first five star verdict!

Verdict: 5 out of 5 stars!





P/S: Something that I pondered last night, there has been a trend of biographical movies lately, don’t you think? Jobs, The Butler, Argo, Lincoln to name a few, and Diana is coming up very soon. Very psyched about watching Princess Di!

No comments: